Home / India / Bihar MLA sent to 2-week Judicial custody after AK-47 found at his home

Bihar MLA sent to 2-week Judicial custody after AK-47 found at his home

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Patna: A court on Sunday remanded controversial Bihar MLA Anant Singh to judicial custody for two weeks in connection with the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) case registered against him.

Anant Singh, who had surrendered on Friday in Delhi, was produced before the Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate (ACJM) of Barh, Pankaj Tiwari. The ACJM sent him to 14 days’ judicial custody.

Anant Singh will be lodged in Patna’s Beur central jail.

“An application for seeking Anant Singh on remand for interrogation could not be taken in the absence of regular court. Police will make application on Monday in this regard,” Patna Superintendent of Police (Rural) Kantesh Kumar Mishra said.

The legislator, who was on the run after the police had registered the case against him following seizure of an AK-47 rifle and grenades from his ancestral home on August 16, had appeared before Saket Court Metropolitan Magistrate Harun Pratap on Friday and surrendered.

A police team headed by Barh Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Lipi Singh and Danapur ASP Ashok Mishra brought the Mokama MLA from New Delhi on Sunday morning and took him directly to Barh from Patna Airport amid tight security.

Police had raided the ancestral home of Anant Singh, an Independent MLA from Mokama, on August 16 and seized an AK-47 rifle, a magazine, live cartridges and two hand grenades.

Police conducted a second raid at the 1, Mall Road, official residence of Anant Singh in Patna on August 17 but he was not present. His accomplice Chhotan Singh was, however, arrested from there.

A sword and a mobile phone were also seized from the legislator’s official residence.

Anant Singh had claimed that he has not visited his ancestral house in the past 14 years.

Anant Singh – nicknamed as “Chhote Sarkar”- has a long criminal record and was recently summoned to the police headquarters in Patna for giving his voice sample in connection with an attack on a Mokama-based contractor.

He was formerly known to have shared a close relationship with Chief Minister Nitish Kumar but the two apparently fell out ahead of the 2015 assembly elections.

He then left the Janata Dal-United and contested and retained his seat as an Independent.

Source : NDTV


Check Also

‘Rs 11, a brick’: Things Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath wants every house to give for Ram Temple

Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath urged every household in Jharkhand to ...